About our Tax Practice:
At Green Hasson Janks, our Tax Practice is comprised of nearly 50 professionals, the majority of whom have post-graduate degrees in tax, law or business and have previously worked with “Big Four” accounting firms. Our dedicated tax team is specifically trained in dealing with complex tax issues for privately held businesses, including federal, state and local tax strategies, tax credit maximization, estate planning and international matters. We work with our clients to find appropriate solutions to maximize tax benefits and savings, providing sophisticated advice tailored for each client.
We also provide our clients with the added bonus of having access to tax and industry resources that highlight emerging trends and inspire thoughtful discussions amongst peers and industry leaders through our events, blogs and publications.
Our team prides itself on its ability to understand the strategic vision of our clients and work toward common goals while maintaining the proper level of independence. We see ourselves as more than just tax accountants; we want to be true advisors and collaborators with our clients.
Most importantly, GHJ is looking for tax professionals to join our team who want to #BeMore. With our commitment to anytime/anywhere work, our support of flexible work environments and our passion for health and wellness, our Firm wants people who live their best lives, for themselves, their family and GHJ and its clients.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The multi-state tax senior is responsible for aspects of the tax planning, consulting, and compliance process on state and local jurisdictional projects, and working closely with the federal tax practice in reviewing multi-state returns and identifying client issues. The senior associate will prepare and review tax returns and tax controversy audit support, as well as managing the work product of associates on various engagements. The senior associate must possess strong technical knowledge of tax planning, consulting, and compliance for both state and jurisdictional tax. The senior associate will interact heavily with management on a day-to-day basis and are expected to assist managers in identifying and researching various client issues, and regularly communicate with clients.
- Prepare and review state income tax returns and workpapers, including apportionment, extensions and quarterly estimated tax payment calculations.
- Assist in state related aspects of tax provision and due diligence requests as needed.
- Assist in various state tax planning consulting projects, including state income/franchise tax audits, credit/refund opportunities and nexus analysis.
- Provide property tax compliance review, audit defense, and consulting support as needed.
- Prepare and review the filings for indirect taxes such as gross receipts, sales tax and business license tax filings.
- Conduct research related to ongoing tax issues and law changes.
- Maintains familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness.
- Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting in recruiting, performance evaluations, developing training aids, and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
- Assumes responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to assure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns.
- Possesses a complete knowledge of the firm’s philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
- Participates in firm’s practice development efforts through involvement w/ referral sources, community and industry activities.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- 5+ years of experience preparing or reviewing multi-state tax related compliance engagements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership and supervisory skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including proven experience liaising with clients.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and use good judgment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related equivalent
- Masters of Science degree in Taxation or a J.D. highly preferred
Green Hasson Janks is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Named “Best Places to Work” by the Los Angeles Business Journal, eighth times since 2008, and awarded the 2018 Employee Champion For Life Work Harmony Award by the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, Green Hasson Janks provides an environment where talented and career-minded individuals can grow personally and professionally. Our exceptional team, comprised of high achievers engaged in the development of their own careers, is encouraged, recognized and rewarded for that individual achievement. If you’re looking for a long-term career in an organization that you can feel good about, where your skills are valued as an essential component of our success, then we want to meet you.