About our Tax Practice:
At Green Hasson Janks, our Tax Practice is comprised of nearly 50 professionals, the majority of whom have post-graduate degrees in tax, law or business and have previously worked with “Big Four” accounting firms. Our dedicated tax team is specifically trained in dealing with complex tax issues for privately held businesses, including federal, state and local tax strategies, tax credit maximization, estate planning and international matters. We work with our clients to find appropriate solutions to maximize tax benefits and savings, providing sophisticated advice tailored for each client.
We also provide our clients with the added bonus of having access to tax and industry resources that highlight emerging trends and inspire thoughtful discussions amongst peers and industry leaders through our events, blogs and publications.
Our team prides itself on its ability to understand the strategic vision of our clients and work toward common goals while maintaining the proper level of independence. We see ourselves as more than just tax accountants; we want to be true advisors and collaborators with our clients.
Most importantly, GHJ is looking for tax professionals to join our team who want to #BeMore. With our commitment to anytime/anywhere work, our support of flexible work environments and our passion for health and wellness, our Firm wants people who live their best lives, for themselves, their family and GHJ and its clients.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Responsible for organizing and coordinating clients' tax data for the accurate, timely completion of tax returns with additional supervisory responsibilities.
- Establishes and maintains prompt, professional and courteous relationships with clients.
- Performs preliminary reviews of tax returns prepared by Seniors and Associates.
- Utilizes mastery of essential tax regulation and working knowledge of more complex regulations in order to answer clients' questions.
- Updates Managers and Partners on engagements to ensure profitability of engagements.
- Ensures the continued success of the department by beginning to participate in the recruiting and mentorship programs at the Firm.
- Supervises Senior and Associate accountants in the tax department to ensure that all engagements are completed on time.
- Reviews tax information submitted by client for completeness; meets with or calls clients with questions.
- Prepares tax exempt returns of increased complexity.
- Prepares amended returns of any variety and complexity.
- Technical knowledge of the Form 990 and all required schedules and Form 990-PF.
- A solid understanding of Unrelated Business Income
- Prepares and reviews excise tax calculations for Private Foundations.
- Experience with exempt organizations that have consolidated audit financials.
- Technical knowledge of the Form 1023 Tax Exemption Application.
- Responds to tax notices of any sort and does initial drafts of any letters required.
- Performs tax research projects requiring some expertise.
- Makes adjusting entries and completes trial balances in order to prepare a tax return.
- Works with confidential client matters; requires ability to keep matters confidential.
- Supervises and trains Seniors and Associates in the Tax Department.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- At least two (2) years experience preparing tax exempt returns.
- At least one (1) year experience using computerized tax preparation, tax planning, and tax research software.
- Ability to operate a computer, calculator and other general office equipment.
- Ability to prepare complex and specialized tax returns.
- Ability to conduct special projects as well as tax research.
- Ability to supervise and train tax staff.
- Familiarity with all types of filing forms.
- Compliance with tax exempt entities and multi-state tax returns.
- Experience with tax research and preparation software.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related equivalent, as well as CPA certification
Green Hasson Janks is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Named “Best Places to Work” by the Los Angeles Business Journal, eighth times since 2008, and awarded the 2018 Employee Champion For Life Work Harmony Award by the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, Green Hasson Janks provides an environment where talented and career-minded individuals can grow personally and professionally. Our exceptional team, comprised of high achievers engaged in the development of their own careers, is encouraged, recognized and rewarded for that individual achievement. If you’re looking for a long-term career in an organization that you can feel good about, where your skills are valued as an essential component of our success, then we want to meet you.